The BimmerWorld View - The AiM SOLO 2 GPS Lap Timer is simply amazing! With a clear, easy-to-read display and very powerful Race Studio analysis software, the SOLO 2 is as at least as powerful as, and potentially more powerful than, many full-dash data systems. With a $400 price tag and this just became the best value in the data market two times over! We are rarely awestruck, but the value of this lineup really blows us out of the water.
The AiM SOLO 2 GPS Lap Timer is AiM's follow-up to their game changing SOLO. It packs even more features and speed into the most cost-effective and technically packed data component on the market. The original SOLO is recognized around the world as a data tool that every DE student, aspiring racer, or even professional coach could use. The SOLO 2 remains affordable, compact, easy to install, and easy to use.SOLO 2 Updates:
- Expanded tracks - more than 3,000 tracks around the world are available to sync via GPS with an autolearning mode for new tracks
- Improved predictive lap time thanks to better GPS data
- Programmable RGB color LEDs for visual comparison of lap times
- Improved lap data displayed on the screen
- Wifi connection to PC to download data
- Smartphone connection for data review (currently iPhone only)
- 4gb of memory (up from 16mb)
More than just a lap timer, the SOLO 2 is a track timer/logger that not only shows the user how fast they are each lap, but also a predictive lap time and quantitative measurements to show you how to improve. The SOLO is similar to the Apex Pro Digital Driving Coach but is for more advanced drivers who want to study their laps in finer detail. The Apex is fantastic as a beginner's tool that displays the car's potential. The SOLO is better suited for experienced drivers who already know the limits and need more data to go faster, such as making experiments in different sectors and trying alternate lines. For additional data sources, check out the SOLO 2 Data Logger.
- Easy installation - Using either the included screw/velcro-on mounting bracket or the optional window suction cup, the SOLO 2 drops in your car in less than a minute.
- Internal battery - The internal battery means no wires are required to get started - power cord and CAN cable use is optional.
- Lap time Display - SOLO 2 displays your best lap, as well as either rolling laptime (running lap), static lap (last completed lap), or Predictive Lap. Predictive Lap is the most valuable tool for improving your driving and gives instantaneous feedback as you are driving a lap on whether you are faster or slower than your best lap.
- LEDs - New color LEDs display real time status. There is no other substitute for this immediate feedback.
- Data Analysis - SOLO 2 records data to be downloaded and analyzed using AiM Race Studio software, one of the easier to use and powerful data software tools on the market. More than lap times, Race Studio shows exactly where you can improve and pick up speed on the track. If the Predictive Lap display is half of the value of a data system, powerful and user-friendly analysis software is the other half, and RS2 fits the description.
- Smartphone review (currently iPhone only) - review and analyze your data from your phone!
- Track Recognition - SOLO 2 includes a list of the world’s main track GPS coordinates. At power up, the internal GPS in the SOLO 2 provides a location and loads the configuration for the track you're driving.
- Performance Measures - SOLO 2 can be used as a measuring tool for your car's performance - a great way to evaluate your most recent upgrade. Industry standard tests include 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, and 0-60 mph, including 60' times and trap speed.
- GPS Antenna - An internal GPS antenna in the SOLO 2 provides precise location and track mapping capability and speed outputs. Additionally, a start/finish line is set so you don't have a trackside beacon to lose or forget at the track.
- AiM SmartyCam connection
Accelerometer: 3-axis ± 5G & 3 axis gyro & 3 axis magnetometer
Weight: 240g, battery included
Display resolution: 128x64
Display pages: 8 (configurable)
Internal battery: Rechargeable lithium battery
Battery duration: up to 4 hours with back light,
up to 6 hours without backlight
External power: 12 volt magnetic support
Backlight: 7 RGB colors
LEDs: 10 RGB colors
Included memory: 4gb
Usage temperatures: -20°C/+60°C
ECU connection: CAN, RS232 or K-line protocolWhat's in the box?
Lap timer, user manual, screw-on mouting bracket (suction window mount can be purchased separately), USB power adapter and USB cable, 2m lighter socket power cable, AiM decal and AiM racing guide. Race Studio software CD included or available to download at no charge.