Factory and aftermarket cats have always been a barrier to unleashing power for the race track. Removing the cats by using cat-less downpipes and headers has been key to increasing horsepower and reliability on BMW track cars. But now some rules require a catalytic converter, or former race cars are being converted back to street use and need cats reinstalled, and this is where the MagnaFlow Premium series is the top choice for a universal cat for BMWs.
- EPA/Federal compliant make it legal for most US states
- OBD-I and OBD-II compatible*
- 200 cell metallic substrate has excellent flow
- Super-strong brazed substrate and mantle
- Low price point
- 5 year and 25,000 mile warranties
MagnaFlow's goals with the Premium cats has been to produce a cat that meets federal EPA requirements, has excellent flow, and may work within existing federal OBD-II emissions standards. To accomplish this the cat has to have the very best catalytic substrate materials. MagnaFlow uses the highest levels of Precious Metals in the industry. The higher quality formula, with high quality manufacturing, means less catalyst material is required. MagnaFlow achieves more with less!
* - MagnaFlow specifically developed this universal cat to pass the federal OBD-II test standard but standards vary by car manufacturer and model and there is no guarantee that a check-engine light and fault code won't occur. The best approach to avoid fault codes is to properly maintain and tune your car. MagnaFlow uses the very best catalytic materials and design that make this Premium cat the best universal metallic sport cat on the market.
This cat uses a 4.00" stainless steel shell with either 2.5" (63.5mm) or 3.0" (76.2mm) inlet/outlet diameters. Welding to your existing exhaust mid-section is required (the closer to the engine the better). You may need reducers or adapters for the best fit. See diagram above for complete measurements.
5 year workmanship and materials
25,000 mile emissions certification
Federal/EPA Compliance: Catalytic Converters ("cats") are heavily regulated and laws are different depending on where you live in North America. 47 states are able to use cats that meet federal EPA standards. California, Colorado, Maine, and New York share a certification commonly known as CARB-approved or 50-state legal. There are specific differences in the catalytic compounds between them. All states can use the more-expensive CARB-approved cat but CA/CO/ME/NY cannot use the federal cat. If your car is a SULEV-spec it is best to use the CARB-approved cat (SULEV models were sold in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington state). Legal in California only for racing vehicles that may never be used, or registered or licensed for use, upon a highway. This info is accurate as of March, 2019 but state laws may have changed since this posting.
Compatible with nearly all BMW models needing a universal cat, including: E82, F22, F87, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F80, F32, F82, E28, E34, E39, E60, F10, E24, E63, E32, E38, E65, X3, X4, X5, X6, Z3, Z4.