At approximately 85,000 miles, the VANOS system on the S54 engine tends to have some maintenance items that should be addressed preventively, in order to ensure proper performance and dependability from your E46 M3, Z3 M Coupe/Roadster, or E85/E86 Z4 M Coupe/Roadster.
The tabs on the on the original S54 exhaust camshaft hub are known to break off, sending metal bits around the timing case. The factory camshaft hub bolts can loosen and fail. The original upper timing chain guide is likely to be worn thin and may even be a bit broken at the tail end, causing a rattle and/or VANOS faults for poor actuation.
The BimmerWorld S54 VANOS Refresh kit replaces the valve cover gasket, upper timing chain guide, exhaust camshaft hub, VANOS oil strainer, VANOS oil pressure hose, and all of the required gaskets/hardware.Kit Contents:
- Upgraded exhaust camshaft hub, VAC
- Upgraded S54 VANOS oil line, BimmerWorld
- Updated VANOS hub mounting bolts, Genuine BMW
- Upper timing chain guide with bolt/seal, Genuine BMW
- Valve cover gasket set, OEM Elring
- VANOS filter/strainer with o-rings, Genuine BMW
- Copper washers for oil return line, OEM
- VANOS cover gasket, OEM Elring
- VANOS sealing plate, Genuine BMW
While the valve cover is removed, you might consider performing a valve adjustment. See below for BimmerWorld recommended related items.
For full BMW fitment information or for assistance from one of our BMW experts, we recommend calling us at 877-639-9648.
BMW Fitments:3 Series
E46 (01-05) > M3Z Series
E36/7 / E36/8 Z3 (00-02) > Z3 M - S54Z Series
E85 / E86 Z4 (06-08) > Z4 M