E46 M3 valve adjustments keep the S54 engine at its optimum tune. The S54 uses mechanical lifters and rocker arms that are set to pre-determined clearances using tiny metallic shims. As the rocker arms wear the clearance becomes too great and the rocker arm is no longer able to open the valve properly. Re-shimming the rocker and valve retainer is required to maintain that clearance. A rattle noise from the valve cover indicates the need for a valve adjustment but don't wait until then. BMW recommends valve adjustments every 30,000 miles (some experts suggest 50,000).
This kit includes all of the parts you will need for an S54 valve adjustment, including:
- 11340031525, set of valve shims in various thicknesses x 1
- 83300493743, magnetic shim pickup tool x 1
- 11127832034, valve cover gasket x 1
- 11127831271, spark plug hole gasket x 6
- 11127830972, valve cover grommet x 13
- 11121437395, valve cover grommet x 2
- 07119963129, oil return line washer x 2
All of our parts are Genuine BMW or OEM for the best quality and fitment. We also recommend inspecting and cleaning your crankcase vent system and inspecting the rocker arms themselves for wear (badly worn rocker arms cannot be re-shimmed).
BMW Fitments:3 Series
E46 (01-06) > M3Z Series
E36/7 / E36/8 Z3 (01-02) > Z3 M - S54Z Series
E85 / E86 Z4 (06-08) > Z4 M