Red Line 75W85 GL-5 Gear Oil is designed to provide the highest degree of protection and greatest efficiency for your drivetrain. Red Line's drivetrain lubricants are optimized for differential, transmission, or transaxle use over a wide range of temperatures. Red Line Gear Oils contain polyol-ester base-stocks to provide excellent lubrication even under the extreme conditions of high-loading and high- temperatures--their natural lubricity provide excellent slipperiness which reduces the sliding friction in hypoid gears to reduce wear and temperatures. The synthetic base-stocks have a natural multi-grade property, so large amounts of unstable thickeners are not required, which means that Red Line Gear Oils will provide a stable viscosity for even extended periods of use.
Red Line's 75W85 Gear Oil is a GL-5+ spec oil, and it's a popular choice for both conventional and LSD differentials.
GL-5 is the oil spec for pre-7/2011 BMW rear differentials and 75W90 is our recommendation. From 7/2011 BMW switched to a GL-4 spec (with no change to the differential itself). In a transmission you should not mix GL oils but after research Red Line has approved GL-5 75W85 over the GL-4 and it offers additional protection over the factory fluid. Red Line has approved the GL-5 as an alternative to BMW G1 gear oil (part numbers 83222295532, 83120445838, 83222413511, 83222413512). However, for warranty purposes you may wish to stay with the factory GL-4 spec.
- Fully-synthetic polyol ester base stocks -excellent lubrication under extreme conditions
- High viscosity-index (VI) for consistent viscosity and film thickness with varying temperatures
- Ester base stocks and friction modifiers provide additional slipperiness to lower operating temperatures by reducing the sliding friction in hypoid gears
- Superior shear stability and reduced oxidation compared to other synthetics and conventional gear oils
- Exceeds API GL-5 specifications